A lot of people make resolutions for the New Year. I don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s too easy to make promises to yourself that you know you won’t keep, so, I just don’t do it, which makes for a lot less frustration later in the year.
The word resolution sounds so serious, so, I’m not going to use it. Instead I’m going to try to form some new habits and stop some old ones in 2014. How, you might ask, does this have anything to do with drain field repair?
Here’s a list of things you should stop doing in 2014 to avoid septic system problems:
1. Stop using your garbage disposal. It only adds solids to your septic tank that will eventually have to be pumped.
2. Stop putting cooking oil down the drain.
3. Stop driving over the drain field.
4. Stop putting feminine hygiene products down the toilet.
5. Stop discharging the water softener into the drain field.
6. Stop putting off having the septic tank pumped, it needs pumping every 3-5 years.
I’m sure the list could be longer, but if you follow these six rules in 2014 and beyond, you will reduce the chance of ever having to deal with a failing septic system.